Monday, July 5, 2010

absence


the past nine days have been too eventful to have provided time for writing. a quick trip to see my friend maggie in sedona was followed by getting the show hung, which was followed immediately by a fall that left me with a broken radius in my left wrist (hence the lower case typing here -- it is already frustrating to have only one hand to use, without trying also to capitalize). that caused an emergency trip to the clinic in the next town over, and then came a fourth-of-july weekend full of social events plus the opening reception for the show, all of which passed in rather a blur of pain management.

the holiday is over, the show is up, and although everything i do takes at least twice as long as usual, i can now return to more normal activities. my exhibit occupies about a quarter of the gallery's space (see photo above), and it looks nice. the crowd at the opening comprised mostly friends and acquaintances, and the gallery owners provided a nice wine-and-cheese spread. my work will be shown for the month of july.

in the meantime, i can get back to work. tomorrow my wrist and arm will receive a cast that will stay on for six weeks. cello playing will be curtailed for a while, although this is a golden opportunity to improve my bowing. since i am right-handed, i don't anticipate too many problems in the studio, though i will need to be inventive when two hands seem to be needed. if anything, the obvious slowing down of my work process will be advantageous and will encourage me to find a more relaxed and thoughtful pace than that of the last couple of weeks. i should be able to continue to post here, though readers will have to tolerate this lower-case format. it won't change the thought process, i hope!

No comments: